Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first bolens tractors I've been wanting for a while I got 3 tractors for cheap with a deck tiller and snowblower I got a 1256 a h16 and the other I am not Carta in of the model which is why I am posting this I believe it is a 800 but I'm not sure it is missing the air cleaner the starter generator and the shroud I know very little about these someone repainted this tractor already it has no decals or anything left I attached a few pics I would just like,to know what model it is thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes if you had anything I'm missing I think all that's missing is the points and cover shroud and air cleaner if anybody could help me out finding them I'd appreciate it

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,243 Posts
Welcome to the GTT forums!

Before you go too far spending money on an engine which you have no history on, or may have serious problems, I'd suggest just installing the ignition points & condenser, and re-installing that carburetor.

Once that is done, you can determine if you have spark for ignition, and fuel getting into the engine. .....Use the starter pulley on the front of the engine with a starter rope.

Although it is not advisable to run the engine without the shroud or air cleaner, you may do that briefly to prove the engine is good, before spending money on a shroud, air cleaner, starter/generator, and any other components needed.

·
DR. Bolens
19,063 Posts
Are you looking for used or new parts, all parts are available new but of course your looking at a couple hundred to get the engine complete again, I would suggest starting with basics and just try and get the engine running with some points to make sure your internals are sound

·
DR. Bolens
19,063 Posts
:ditto: Bruces post, he beat me to it :D

You will be ok running the engine for a minute or two without your shroud just to make sure nothing is wrong internally.

Can you provide better pictures of the Points box? It appears your lower grounding bolt is missing as well and possibly the points push pin??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not really worried about spending money on this once the motor runs I will probably pull apart and rebuild it if it needs it once I get the parts and get it running I am painting it this winter and I'll post a pic of the points after wotk

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Welcome to GTT. That H16 was the pinnicle of the tube frame Bolens, congrats on getting it. We have a big Manuals Section with 3 free downloads per day. There is alot of Bolens Manuals and advertising Brouchures. Good Luck, Rick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts