Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tractorholic
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I appreciate the help so far. but still can't get the MF12 to spin the mower deck.

I cleaned the the tractor, let it run for about 2 hours. with some carb cleaner in the tank

took it out to the field, tried to spool up the deck, it took some slow coaxing. but to know what to do to fix this. it will run (in neutral) but then wants to die. have to retard the throttle and push in the clutch. is this a engine problem, seems to idle up ok initially
but is slow to recover when it tries to die. is this a belt adjustment problem or what?

have tried to download the manual, but it is just a bunch of gobbley ****

thanks

·
Super Moderator
54,611 Posts
If the deck spins fairly easily, What type of PTO clutch does this use? Is it electric or a belt tension idler? Could be a bearing about to lock up that makes it hard to get going. Hope this makes sense. My brain is not functioning very well today.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
KennyP said:
If the deck spins fairly easily, What type of PTO clutch does this use? Is it electric or a belt tension idler? Could be a bearing about to lock up that makes it hard to get going. Hope this makes sense. My brain is not functioning very well today.
It is a belt clutch setup, unless the idler at the foot pedal or the jackshaft is frozen it shouldn't cause any issues.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Justpics said:
OK guys, I appreciate the help so far. but still can't get the MF12 to spin the mower deck.

I cleaned the the tractor, let it run for about 2 hours. with some carb cleaner in the tank

took it out to the field, tried to spool up the deck, it took some slow coaxing. but to know what to do to fix this. it will run (in neutral) but then wants to die. have to retard the throttle and push in the clutch. is this a engine problem, seems to idle up ok initially
but is slow to recover when it tries to die. is this a belt adjustment problem or what?

have tried to download the manual, but it is just a bunch of gobbley ****

thanks
First thing I would check is make sure the deck spins freely, if it does then you can look for other issues.

Does the engine go to full throttle and sound good? If the mower deck spins free and the engine goes to full throttle next I would check the governor. You will see a lever on the side of the engine and with the engine running about half throttle if you try and move the lever by hand you should feel resistance and the rpms will change. If you don't feel any resistance then your governor either needs adjusted or something is wrong with it. Still not ruling out carb issues though either. Need a little better description of how it runs without load on it and if it goes to full throttle without surging or sounding like it is starving.

Have you checked the carb adjustments? The high speed adjustment is on the bottom of the float bowl, I usually set mine at 1 1/2 turns out to start off with. (turn in until it bottoms out, do not force and then back out one and a half turns).

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Also is there any chance you can take a video and post it for us, would be a lot easier to diagnose.

·
Tractorholic
300 Posts
Don't rule out the fuel filter. Had a mower once that ran fine until you engaged the drive and mower blade then it would die out. Turned out to be the fuel filter. It's a cheap replacement and would rule it out.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
My money is on carb issues.... But first, check the jack-shaft that the pully's are on. This is the one that connects the motor belt to the belt going down to the deck gear box. Also, check the deck as others have said.

At low idle, is there a hill you can drive up? At low idle, the hil will force the govenor to power up the motor to climb the hill.

Reactions: Justpics

·
Tractorholic
129 Posts
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Before.................................. After Paint

Thanks, I will go thru these suggestions one by one. and see if I can isolate. will try to do a video, not sure how to do that. only have my cell phone. so suggestions there would be helpful. I repainted the hood last night to make it look more like a MF, even used the original color.

I cannot get the key to activate the solenoid when turned to start, replaced it with a new mag style, but still no change. jumping the post on the solenoid works, just don't want to do that ever time I need to start it. I really appreciate the input and open Help. If there is any way I can reciprocate let me know. I do have some skills. and am fairly mechanical inclined, just worked on cars not small engines.

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, here is a update, took the deck off, seems to spin freely, still have the dieing problem. plus we can add one more. I mounted the new switch. it grounds out the ignition, wont start . if i remove it from the panel it works fine except for not engaging the starter with the key

shaft pulley's are connected, seems to run out of power. i am giving up for the day. where can I find a wiring schematic for it?

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
When you've made it through all the other suggestions, I may have another for you, but first a question. Does it die out when traveling up hill also? If it does and you don't find the problem elsewhere, check the compression. Just my $.02

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
TEC governors are mighty touchy & often explode. It might partly be a governor issue, but sounds like the carb needs attention also.

·
Tractorholic
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to rebuild the carburetor, and start from there, I will get it done....eventually

Might even start the rebuild now. is ti difficult to rebuild the engine,? where do I get parts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts