Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tractorholic
8,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the chains on the 2418 PK last night and was wondering if there would be any advantage to move the wheel weights to the outside by changing the adjustable rims and to a wider track ? Right now the tries are filled , one is foam filled , 2 50lb weights each side mounted inside the rim ( if I just swapped them as is and turned them they would be closer ) Would the wider track and weights further to the outside help at all ?. No problem going to wide the plow is 6' . I could also change the front tires side to side to get a wider track without much trouble . I try to keep the narrow because the bucket is 36"

Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire
Plant Tire Wheel Automotive tire Leaf

Attachments

Reactions: boyscout862

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
If you mount them in the wide position would it make it easier to remove the weights. I'm not sure if you change wheels/weights with the seasons or not. As far as traction goes, the biggest thing you could do would be to add chains. Hands down the best way to improve traction IME.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Width just adds stabitity, Chains and extra weight is what you need for better traction.Off course the further out back of the tractor helps as well. [think of the see saw effect or pipe onto a wrench etc:]

Reactions: Alc

·
Tractorholic
8,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea , really wasn't sure if the weights further to the outside and tread width would help , forgot to say I also have a concrete weight box on the 3 point I can position that further towards the rear by turning it around .

·
Tractorholic
8,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Moving the weight back will gain you a little. Just watch you don't get light in the front.

With the fel snow plow attachment I have plenty of weight out front . I do have one more pair of the same size weights that are mounted on the inside . Those came off the 3400 Ford . After reading the loader manual for the PKs loader they really want you to weight it down ! Here's a screen shot from the manual . With filled rear tires +270 lb + 200lb wheel weights plus my homemade concrete weight on the 3 point is nowhere near 450lb but it looks like the factory wants you to add over 900 lb to the tractor !

Font Number Document Circle Screenshot

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.