Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Always learning something!
1,284 Posts
Every organization has it's rules, bi-laws, code of conduct, initiation, politics, hierarchy and of course a purpose. There are guests, members and leaders. GTTalk is no different. Given that I'm still a rank and file member it's been fun getting my feet wet and wading into the hobby but also the forum.

So yesterday, on my way home from work, I stop for a spot of gas. Just before I pulled in, over my left shoulder I pick up the hint of Ford blue, 3 pt. hitch and a cab. Instantly I knew it was a tractor but what happened next was too funny........the thought immediately crossed my mind, "Hey, take a picture and send it to KennyP, he likes Ford tractors."

That thought got me thinking and so here I am. When does a GTTalk member REALLY become a member? Is it when they snap a pic of a tractor for a guy they've never met but lives in OK? Or is it when you have open invitations to stop in for a visit from GTTalk friends in 5 different States?

As I drove off with a full tank of gas and a pic on my phone for KennyP I reflected on just how cool it is to be a part of an online community that is constantly expanding my knowledge of garden tractors but also my network of friends.

So I pose the question to you, When does a GTTalk member truly become a member? Have fun with this and I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Oh, and by the way, here's your pic KennyP:

Tire Wheel Building Snow Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
That's a good looking Ford.

Reactions: Moosetales

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
Thanks for the pic! Nice looking Ford!

When does a member a true member? When they post pics! :bigrofl: Really, I think it's when folks start helping others with their issues.

·
Super Moderator
54,603 Posts
Ford 1210, isn't it? Factory 768 loader or the Westendorf TA-55?
Wonder if my magnet is strong enough for that? Kind of far away for a drive-by!

·
Old Tractor Addict
1,846 Posts
Wonder if my magnet is strong enough for that? Kind of far away for a drive-by!
Good thing too. I don't know if that would even fit in your truck. And I don't believe you have your trailer equipped with a magnet yet. Our did you sneak that on and forget to tell us ?
I agree I think the full member status is reached when you can help someone or be able to .
share your input.

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
Good thing too. I don't know if that would even fit in your truck. And I don't believe you have your trailer equipped with a magnet yet. Our did you sneak that on and forget to tell us ?
I agree I think the full member status is reached when you can help someone or be able to .
share your input.
Yeah, But Kenny does have a trailer now and I'm sure it would fit!

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
I think it is when a member becomes involved when a member comes login on a regular basis and becomes involved in the conversations going on. They may or may not be able to help with certain problem but they are there none the less.

Moose that was pretty cool for you to take the pic for Kenny. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
15,608 Posts
Just talking with members on different post ,posting pictures , helping anyone you can even if you don't know them or have met them..The gift of talk and tractors is a great thing.

larryd
I think it is when a member becomes involved when a member comes login on a regular basis and becomes involved in the conversations going on. They may or may not be able to help with certain problem but they are there none the less.

Moose that was pretty cool for you to take the pic for Kenny. :thumbs:
Could not have said it better !! Thanks for snapping that photo. :thumbs:

·
Live long and prosper
6,791 Posts
That is a nice compact Ford, and a very nice thought indeed to snap a picture for Kenny.

·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, I just thought of another indicator that you've become a MEMBER........when you're wife knows the names of people you reference just by telling a story about an online thread......."Are you talking about ____________? Isn't he the one you said was going to Daytona?......."

--OR--

When you're wife tells her friends and family that she's a "tractor widow". :(

I agree with comments above about this forum. I'm loving it. Being a pastor's kid I've lived many places you guys live and my dad's side of the family has lived and lives in even more places that you all live so when I hear about where you all live there's a great chance that within a few degrees of separation we'd probably find someone we know in common.....did I mention my dad is one of SEVEN kids so I almost have the entire continental US covered. :thumbs:

·
Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!
4,461 Posts
As George Orwell said: all members are equal, but some members are more equal than others (when they have posted a photo) :eek:h_shucks:

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Moose,

To me, you become a member the moment you join the website. This site wouldn't be as popular as it is, if it weren't for our current membership ratings. Sure, we have members who just happened to stumble across the site, but most of our members got involved on the site due to word of mouth from other members. This is the best site on the web, in my opinion, not just because of tractors, but because we cover a variety of topics that include everybody. Some how or some way, there is a topic for each member to become involved with. Not all of our members post, and not all of our members even have tractors, but they are still considered "members" no matter what.

We all try to help out anyway we can, or if we can. That's what makes this site feel like a second family. Not all members have the knowledge that others have, and that's ok. We don't think any less of them. We are just happy that guys are wanting to be part of such a great site and enjoyable hobby. We all share common blood and an interest in learning. Just because some guys don't feel comfortable about posting, doesn't mean they aren't a member, at least in my book.

Each guy here is considered a member and a brother, whether they joined the site when it first started, or just ten minutes ago. I say Welcome aboard, and Thanks for become a member!

·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Moose,

To me, you become a member the moment you join the website. This site wouldn't be as popular as it is, if it weren't for our current membership ratings. Sure, we have members who just happened to stumble across the site, but most of our members got involved on the site due to word of mouth from other members. This is the best site on the web, in my opinion, not just because of tractors, but because we cover a variety of topics that include everybody. Some how or some way, there is a topic for each member to become involved with. Not all of our members post, and not all of our members even have tractors, but they are still considered "members" no matter what.

We all try to help out anyway we can, or if we can. That's what makes this site feel like a second family. Not all members have the knowledge that others have, and that's ok. We don't think any less of them. We are just happy that guys are wanting to be part of such a great site and enjoyable hobby. We all share common blood and an interest in learning. Just because some guys don't feel comfortable about posting, doesn't mean they aren't a member, at least in my book.

Each guy here is considered a member and a brother, whether they joined the site when it first started, or just ten minutes ago. I say Welcome aboard, and Thanks for become a member!
.........can't forget our female friends.........it's kinda cool that this site isn't a gentleman's club!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts