Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To clean a 150'x15' driveway with snow plows. My 14 has a 46" plow. Not sure what size plow a Cub would have, I don't have one. Any way a 14 is hydro and can move quick, as you Massey guys know, cub is standard shift. Just a fun question, I just finished the driveway, and have been wondering for some time now. I like watching tractors plowing on you tube just to see different things. Noel.

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if I was in your area, we could have a friendly race just to see. Noel.

·
Squeaky Wheel
7,446 Posts
Farmall cub front blade should be 60 inches (i think thats right, as i have one). So that is 3 passes wide, over your current 4 passes (perfect world). Stick shift isnt bad, forward and reverse (if i am remembering right) are opposite each other. Certainly you can put more weight on a farmall cub for the traction. 12 horsepower, but those are using real horses. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How fast can a cub go ? Mf 14 is 9 miles per hour, not that a person would plow that fast , but if I had to beat someone I might. Noel.

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
This could get interesting :bigrofl:
:smilewink:

I knew I would get a response out of you.

Are you coming to Daniel's plow day? We can solve this then. :rolling:

Ben W.

Reactions: IamSherwood

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I believe you are right Coventry Plumber. I know that they are only about 9 1/2 to 10 hp. Massey ferguson is 14 , real horse power, as was said before. No torque values yet. I think a Kohler 14 would have about 25 foot pound of torque. Don't know about a Cub. Noel.

Reactions: Coventry Plumber

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
Farmall Cub is a heavier tractor, can handle a bigger blade and push more snow. Not sure how fast in top gear???

The MF14 is more maneuverable, quicker to go from forward to reverse. MF14s go about 12mph

I'd say the Farmall is faster if the driveway is a straight run.

·
Tractorholic
1,641 Posts
I believe 1st gear is 2mph. 2 nd gear is 3mph and 3rd gear is 6mph .
You are correct. But to be exact the early models were 2.14, 3.12, and 6.4mph while the later models were 2.44, 3.25, and 7.3mph in case anyone wanted to be technical. LOL!!!

·
Tractorholic
1,641 Posts
Yes, I believe you are right Coventry Plumber. I know that they are only about 9 1/2 to 10 hp. Massey ferguson is 14 , real horse power, as was said before. No torque values yet. I think a Kohler 14 would have about 25 foot pound of torque. Don't know about a Cub. Noel.
Not sure of the cub's torque. My Nebraska test book doesn't list it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm not sure on the Cubs torque but it can push a lot of snow for its size . I just wish 2nd gear was a little faster. Besides that it's great tractor to plow with but aren't they all. Not saying I want to plow more this year , I've had enough. Tom

·
Tractorholic
1,641 Posts
Not saying I want to plow more this year , I've had enough. Tom
You and me both. Spent 8 hours today pushing drifts back and widening roads. They are saying another 4-9 tomorrow into sunday for us now. I will be glad when it's time to mow roadsides and fix potholes.

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
If I do, my MF16 will be wearing 36" boots. :smilewink: And I'll be sporting a

Kim Jong hair-do to scare you. :D
I'm excited about the hair do. That might even make the GTTalk calendar for next year!

Get your cameras ready, kids! Will is on the way!

Ben W.

·
Tractorholic
507 Posts
Engine torque doesn't really enter the picture with a hydro's infinite speed range. Output torque at the axle from your hydro in LO at 1500 psi is approximately 790 ft-lb. The hydro is rated for 4000 psi. The tractor will break traction long before it maxes the pressure and isn't likely to make 1500 psi on snow without a LOT of weight and a set of chains.

The full torque is available at idle, but it takes horsepower to make use of it. A manual transmission only develops full torque at WOT.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts