Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice to get ready for winter. I would like to get a new battery and would appreciate some suggestions. Also, any idea where to pick up chains in Ontario at a decent price. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
I can't help you with chains but for the winter setup if you need a new battery I would definitely get one. Always keep it fully charged if the tractors charging system doesn't keep it charged right. I also suggest using ethanol free gas if you can get it. If you can't get ethanol free gas then I would get some sort of additive like sea-foam to put in the gas tank to help keep the gas as fresh as possible.

There was a post on here somewhere about tire chains from some merchant. You could check to see how much it might be for shipping. I would try and get some local pricing too though if you can.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about battery size/cold cranking? Any thoughts? Car battery instead of the lawn tractor battery I'm running.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
If you can fit a car batter go for a car battery as most of them now a days are 600 CCA. If you are going to get a lawnmower battery make sure it is at least 400+ CCA.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
Look for a Honda battery, I think it's a CRV battery that I am running in mine. Many of them used that narrow size.

·
Tractorholic
805 Posts
I have a car battery in my MF-12. It's 7 years old. I just measured the battery box and picked one that fit. I'll never go back to those dinky lawn tractor batteries.

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
FWIW, I took mt measurements to a distributor and they found the biggest one that would fit out of what they made. Hey had a bigger selection and could look at them in a size to amps and not just, "well we need to know what model Honda it goes to..." hey also blew away every other place in cost.

·
74 Posts
What size of chains you need. I just sold a good set for $10.00. They were for 23x10.5x12 tire. They came from Sears. As for battery, auto type I use.
Your MF is it diesel? I am rebuilding a MF 1650 with a 16.5 hp Lombardini air cooled diesel 25LD 330-2.

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
5,623 Posts
FirefyterEmt said:
FWIW, I took mt measurements to a distributor and they found the biggest one that would fit out of what they made. Hey had a bigger selection and could look at them in a size to amps and not just, "well we need to know what model Honda it goes to..." hey also blew away every other place in cost.
Just out of curiosity, What distributor did you got to? We have an interstate distributor down here that I always forget about when I go shopping :wallbanging:!

·
Tractorholic
866 Posts
It was a place in Auburn, Mass. called "Northeast Battery". They were great to deal with and spent a good deal of time looking up the best battery. Granted, it may of just been a good employee, but they treated me, a guy off the street buying one battery, like a well know company with an order. My main constraint was the depth, and then the height. Given that, and the need for the biggest and best battery they had to fit that, he found the perfect one for me. It was also much less than any of the in-stock Honda battery's at Wal-Mart even.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts