Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The head gasket was cracked at the rear most stud. One can see the oil leaking out the back...... Ok, oil should not be leaking out of the head gasket at all. There is an oil problem. Piston says 030+ and rocks in the bore. I'm sure the rings are bad.

Van these motors handle boring more than .030?

·
DR. Bolens
19,077 Posts
.030+ was the max for wisconsin, anything more your getting into custom machining territory

They did have a tri-chrome ring set that was made for worn cylinders which may help in this case, I put a set in my TR10D that was at .030+ and have been using it to mow and snow-blow since 2010.

Of course you'll have to pull the piston and check specs before you get more involved. If you have any questions or need any parts let me know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
B1K, you're right, I'll have to do a more complete inspection. I don't see any issues with the bore yet so, if it measures true enough maybe I can knurle the piston and custom fit new rings.... I need to check the bottom end. Valves feel good.

Has anyone sleeved one of these?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had an 850 that had a worn out bore, you could actually see how it was oval shaped, or maybe it was the piston that was worn?? Anyhow If it is the cylinder which is worn oval surely new rings would not help the cause would it?

·
Tractorholic
988 Posts
You'll have to pull the piston and see what the specs of the bore are and check your ring end gap. If the tolerances are not too far off many times fitting the engine with a ring-set solves most issues.
And that is especially true if the engine is smoking because it sat for awhile and the rings seized in their grooves from congealed oil.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Are these wisconsin engines easy to work on??

I have Andrews 850 in the barn with a blown con rod & Damaged crank so need to change them.

·
DR. Bolens
19,077 Posts

I have Andrews 850 in the barn with a blown con rod & Damaged crank so need to change them.
Probably one of the easiest machines to work on in my opinion!

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,273 Posts

Depending on what is wrong with the crank, it may be saved.

If the crankshaft has a build-up of aluminum from the connecting rod, the aluminum can be removed from the crank journal by using muriatic acid or a fine abrasive. ....Polish the journal with a very fine abrasive.

If the crankshaft journal has grooves worn into it, depending on the severity of the grooves, the journal may be polished and the crank is still good. ....Small grooves will not affect the operation of the engine, but need to be polished to remove burrs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had some free time today and pulled the motor. It took me about an hour to remove everything. Next time i'll get a an extra hand or use a hoist because this thing is heavy!

I got nervous when the set screw on the drive yoke didn't want to cooperate but it finally popped loose.

My original plan was to get the machine in acceptable working order before addressing any aesthetic concerns. However, there is not Much more to take apart in order to paint the frame and tin. I must.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts