Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do any of you Bolens guys have a spare Wisconsin TRA-10D camshaft that you can sell me? If you do please contact me.

Thank you.

Sounds like I've got one coming now! I will delete the thread after I get it.

·
A Little Off Plumb
8,558 Posts

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,881 Posts
TRA-10D, TR-10D and S8D cams should all be the same.

S7D Cam Might be the same but I can not guarantee it. I have an S7D but I've never had it apart. The block looks to be similar but the breaker box? for the points is not in the same location.

Make sure that your Camshaft Thrust Spring and ball bearing are not damaged. If they are I suggest replacing them as well. The cam can slide back and the gear will come in contact with the crank bearing and do all sorts of damage to the engine. I had 1 that someone had supposedly rebuilt and they did not re-install the bearing. It caused the cam to break which came in contact with the crank and it blew a big ole hole in the side of the block.

Spring and bearing are Circled in red. Easiest way to install the bearing without having it fall out every time you try to put the cam cover on, is to literally glue the bearing into the hole in the cam cover with heavy Grease. The spring will stay in the cam no problem but that bearing can be a bit of a pain in the rump.

Line Font Parallel Auto part Elbow

Used spring and ball if you need 1.

This would be worth having if you are remotely close to Phillipsburg, New Jersey. Complete Wisconsin TRA-10D engine for $25 ???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TRA-10D, TR-10D and S8D cams should all be the same.

S7D Cam Might be the same but I can not guarantee it. I have an S7D but I've never had it apart. The block looks to be similar but the breaker box? for the points is not in the same location.

Make sure that your Camshaft Thrust Spring and ball bearing are not damaged. If they are I suggest replacing them as well. The cam can slide back and the gear will come in contact with the crank bearing and do all sorts of damage to the engine. I had 1 that someone had supposedly rebuilt and they did not re-install the bearing. It caused the cam to break which came in contact with the crank and it blew a big ole hole in the side of the block.

Spring and bearing are Circled in red. Easiest way to install the bearing without having it fall out every time you try to put the cam cover on, is to literally glue the bearing into the hole in the cam cover with heavy Grease. The spring will stay in the cam no problem but that bearing can be a bit of a pain in the rump.

View attachment 407237

Used spring and ball if you need 1.

This would be worth having if you are remotely close to Phillipsburg, New Jersey. Complete Wisconsin TRA-10D engine for $25 ???
Thanks. I think the ball and spring are fine but I will check them.
Unfortanately I am not anywhere near New Jersey. I saw the ad.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That cam looks like it should work, but as you said the EA-123B shouldn't have compression release. The one pictured there does. Maybe they added it to the EA-123G before switching to the EA-130A/C.

EDIT: The compression release on that one is setup differently. The flyweight is on the inside of the cam gear versus the outside on the EA-130.

For future reference, the S7D and S8D/TR/TRA do not share the same camshaft.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That cam looks like it should work, but as you said the EA-123B shouldn't have compression release. The one pictured there does. Maybe they added it to the EA-123G before switching to the EA-130A/C.

EDIT: The compression release on that one is setup differently. The flyweight is on the inside of the cam gear versus the outside on the EA-130.

For future reference, the S7D and S8D/TR/TRA do not share the same camshaft.
I noticed how the flyweight was on the inside. I had wondered if this cam was for the engines with a fuel pump. But that wouldn't make sense.
As you said I figure it would work. It's cheap enough it's not much risk. What is the EA-130-A/C?

·
Registered
63 Posts
All of these engines had a camshaft with an eccentric for a fuel pump, although few crankcases were actually machined for one. It's the one furthest from the gear.

By EA-130A/C I meant EA-130A and EA-130C, two different versions Wisconsin gives for the EA-130 camshaft. I don't know what the differences are. The EA-130A might not have compression release as it's specified to replace the earlier EA-123B.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Okay, I think I may have figured this out. I believe the EA-123G and similar EA-121E that are on eBay are for the very rare vertical shaft HS-7D and HS-8D models. My HS-8D manual lists a EA-123D camshaft with no mention of compression release, the same as many S-8Ds. I'm guessing EA-123G with it's inside flyweight was it's compression release replacement. Of course this is all speculation on my part. I've never seen let alone had one of those vertical shaft engines apart.

I have an EA-130C if you really need it. Where are you located?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I think I may have figured this out. I believe the EA-123G and similar EA-121E that are on eBay are for the very rare vertical shaft HS-7D and HS-8D models. My HS-8D manual lists a EA-123D camshaft with no mention of compression release, the same as many S-8Ds. I'm guessing EA-123G with it's inside flyweight was it's compression release replacement. Of course this is all speculation on my part. I've never seen let alone had one of those vertical shaft engines apart.

I have an EA-130C if you really need it. Where are you located?
I am located in the Raleigh area of North Carolina. And I do really need it, becauase I really want to get this engine running again.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,881 Posts
Ok I had to look them up. To darn cold outside or I would have run up to my shop and looked through my parts manual Binders.

S7D cam will not work but the S8D and TR-10D and TRA-10D cams are indeed interchangeable, if it has the EA-130C cam with compression release.

I thought so because I used a cam out of an S8D when I rebuilt the TRA-10D in my Bolens 1053. The points lobe on the original cam was scored and badly worn. I've seen that happen on a few Kohler engines before with the steel points plunger but that was the 1st time I've seen it on a Wisconsin engine.

S8D
EA-123D without compression release. EA-130A with compression release. EA-130C is listed as the replacement cam for the S8D.
S8D parts manual. https://www.gardentractortalk.com/d3/downloads/97913-s7d_s8d.pdf

TR-10D and TRA-10D
EA-123B for the TR10D without compression release.TR-10D Replacement cam was EA-130A. EA-130C was the standard cam with compression release for both TR-10D and TRA-10D.
TR/TRA parts manual https://www.gardentractortalk.com/d3/downloads/97305-tr_tra_series.pdf

·
Registered
63 Posts
You can add the TRA-12D to your camshaft interchangeability list as well.

Frank, I have a used one I can send you if you're willing to pay shipping. Send me a message if you're interested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts