Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently acquired 3 Bolens 1050s. Only one of which runs. I'm planning to tune-up the running one and wanted to solicit advice for what I should/shouldn't do. Here's what I planned:

oil change
plug
plug wire
fuel filter
air filter

I'm not new to mechanic work, but I am new to GT's and thought maybe someone could offer up advice if there's other things I should do or consider doing. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
90 Posts
Oh yeah, I was also thinking of a carb rebuild, but haven't had much luck locating a kit online. I'm trying to cross reference part numbers to get one from ebay but am not feeling very confident that I'll buy the right one.

·
Summer.
4,536 Posts
Here's a engine manual for one.
Napa Auto parts and Carquest carrys a lot of parts for Winnies.

·
DR. Bolens
19,063 Posts

·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the advice. I'll need to inspect that carb to determine which one I have. Presumably it's the Zenith 68-7, but that's just per the manuals. Any suggestions on whether I should do anything with the engine electrical? Points, condenser, coil, magneto, etc. ???

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,239 Posts
Any suggestions on whether I should do anything with the engine electrical? Points, condenser, coil, magneto, etc. ???
If it ain't broke - don't fix it !!!

If your tractor is running OK, why tamper with it? ....Installing new parts does not always eliminate possible future problems. ....New parts can fail just as easily as old parts!

However, it is nice to have some parts on hand for when they are needed. ....(A new spark plug, and a YQ-12 Wisc ignition kit.)

I do agree with new filters and oil changes!

·
Summer.
4,536 Posts

·
DR. Bolens
19,063 Posts
I'll bet http://api.viglink.c..._13313886899301 will have it if it's needed.
I don't usally change out the ignition points and condencer unless they are worn out, pop off the points cover box and have a look at the points, file them, a little gas through the spark plug hole and give the engine a few tugs to see if it fires.

Usually you only have to replace the points if they are totally burnt out or missing LOL.
I would change out the air filter and the fuel shutoff filter that screws into the tank as those usually are pretty plugged.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts