Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was at an auction and came home with some goodies.I bought a MF 7g with a set of hub caps.I think the back 2 will clean up nice the front 2 I believe the chrome is off.Won't know until I polish them.I also bought a skid of wheel weights for $80.The wheel weights are for my dads Massey harris 55.I believe they also fit the 33 and the 44.I think they weigh around 150 lbs a pc.The other wheel weights are the MF split wheel weights for the 12" rims.Dad asked what he owed me for his weights I said don't worry about it I got the whole skid for less than I was willing to pay for the garden tractor wheel weights.I should have bought all the farm tractor wheel weights they had at the sale but I didn't.They where selling for about $25 a pc.I wanted to make sure I had the money for the ones I really wanted.Of course the ones I wanted brought more than the rest of the weights at the sale.I still got them for a darn good price. :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Wood Gas Flooring Concrete Tableware Wheel Tire Wheelbarrow Automotive tire Tread Automotive tire Wood Tire Wheel Tread Automotive tire Wood Brickwork Automotive wheel system Brick Automotive tire Wheel Tread Wood Asphalt

Today I wire wheeled the split weights and put a coat of primer on them.I am going to put them on my restored 1971 10.This is my 2nd set of split weights that I got.Eventually I would like a set for each of my Masseys.I better start saving.

Gas Art Electric blue Space Circle Plant Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Tree

Attachments

·
Banned
5,695 Posts
Those hubcaps are getting harder and harder and harder to find. The little tractor doesn't look bad, either.

The prices you describe for welterweights would be considered robbery of the seller around here! They go for about triple what you mentioned. If you want them around here, you really have to want them.

Ben W.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Eventually I will get one of those Massey's. till then nice find!!!!!! You paid less for those weights than the scrap yard would :thumbs: Nice find and well bought

·
Summer.
4,536 Posts
You stole it all, once in a great moon these deals happen, nice find !!!

Reactions: ckjakline

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
That's a nice day of shopping.

If the hub caps don't clean up as well as you want, you might

think about spraying them with chrome paint. I had a set of small ones for

my MF8H I resto'd this past winter, that where beyond shining again.

I looked into rechroming, but decided that was way to expensive. I was pleasantly

surprised with the spray paint out come. Not perfect, but good for the $9.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eventually I will get one of those Massey's. till then nice find!!!!!! You paid less for those weights than the scrap yard would :thumbs: Nice find and well bought
The back up bidder was a scrapper.He was getting frustrated I wouldn't give up.I started the bidding at $25.I was willing to go over double what I got the whole skid for

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a nice day of shopping.

If the hub caps don't clean up as well as you want, you might

think about spraying them with chrome paint. I had a set of small ones for

my MF8H I resto'd this past winter, that where beyond shining again.

I looked into rechroming, but decided that was way to expensive. I was pleasantly

surprised with the spray paint out come. Not perfect, but good for the $9.

attachicon.gif
DSCF2082.JPG
Will,They do look pretty good.What was the spray paint you used?I didn't realize they had chrome spray paint.I also was thinking about looking into powder coating.I wasn't sure if they have a chrome like powder coat.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Craig,

Bring your rear hubcaps over tonight, and let me see if I can clean them up for you using this new stuff I got (Temp). I think it will take a lot of the rust stains off, and as you know it will bring back the shine. Don't think it will help much for the front caps though. I did talk to a guy on Saturday, and he states that chrome is available in a powder coat color, but it won't give you the finish that you are hoping for or wanting to get.

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I cleaned the hub caps up tonight.The 2 8" polished up pretty nice,they do have some scratches though.The one 6 " I sanded all the rust off and it didn't have much chrome left.the other looks better than it did.

Table Wood Road surface Circle Automotive wheel system

Road surface Art Asphalt Circle Font World Automotive lighting Plant Automotive design Motor vehicle

Ingredient Art Cuisine Food Baked goods World Art Hood Water Circle

Road surface Grey Asphalt Automotive tire Font Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Automotive wheel system Rim

Food Ingredient Road surface Asphalt Cuisine Font Road surface Handwriting Asphalt Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Gas Glass Circle Transparent material

Attachments

·
Elf guardian
7,712 Posts
Looks good. :thumbs: Now you're ready to go plow some dirt.

Maybe you did it intentionally, but the mesh material in the grill should be semi-gloss black if

you're going for the OE look.

When I did mine, I gapped on that, and some of the good folks here caught that, and pointed it out.

I'm glad they did, and that I took the time to correct it. It makes a world of difference to the look.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Tractor Locking hubs Wheel Tire Tractor Automotive tire Vehicle

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Looks good. :thumbs: Now you're ready to go plow some dirt.

Maybe you did it intentionally, but the mesh material in the grill should be semi-gloss black if

you're going for the OE look.

When I did mine, I gapped on that, and some of the good folks here caught that, and pointed it out.

I'm glad they did, and that I took the time to correct it. It makes a world of difference to the look.

attachicon.gif
P1010015.JPG
attachicon.gif
P1010026.JPG
Will,I do realize that.The mesh was welded in on this grill.That was my original plan,but I can't weld and I didn't want the headache,and the extra body work.Besides that it would have been a real treat to tape it off.If you notice the grill and wheels aren't the right color.This was my 2nd restoration and I wasn't a member here yet.So therefore I didn't realize they were supposed to be silver mist.Maybe someday i'll correct the grill and wheels.Probably when I do the next Massey.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts